CMS is proud to announce we have been recertified for the Gold Shovel Standard (GSS). This valuable certification indicates completion of the rigorous GSS certification process. GSS Certification is a widely recognized indication of increased safety awareness and a commitment to continuous damage prevention improvement. Excavators within GSS rely on GSS technology to measure safety and efficacy and can present hard data to support their reputation.
To obtain GSS Certification, an excavator must have a complete Damage Prevention Safety Management System (DP-SMS) which specifically includes the following essential elements:
- Leadership and management commitment
- Annual basic awareness training for all workers on jobs with excavation
- Whistleblower and stop work responsibility for workers
- Policy to adhere to all applicable CGA Best Practices*, specifically Ch. 5
- Policy to hire Gold Shovel Standard subcontractors with few exceptions
- Thorough investigation procedure to be used in the event of an incident
- Corrective action procedure with root cause analysis
Gold Shovel Standard (GSS) is a nonprofit organization committed to improving workforce and public safety and the integrity of buried infrastructure. GSS believes that greater transparency in all aspects of damage prevention among buried-asset operators, locators and excavators is essential to drive continuous improvement, and vital to increasingly safe working conditions and communities.